An error occurred while applying security information to: c:\boot, c:\bootmgr, c:\hiberfil.sys, c:\pagefile.sys, c:\program files, c:\windows
Hi,I am using an administrator account tochangethe permission setting in the c:\ drive of my w2k8 x64 server.Every time I try edit a permission (read, write, read & execute..... anything), I got a whole wack of paremeter errors (this happen to all account i used):First, I would get the messageAn error occurred while applying security information to: c:\bootand I click continue, a new message would appares say An error occurred while applying security information to: c:\bootmgr,and so on, until c:\windows.I tried to turn off/on UAC but this doesn't help.I need your help on soving this problem.Thanks
July 23rd, 2009 3:09pm

Disclaimer: You should not follow any of these instructions. They will cause you harm in every conceivable way. Don’t continue I say again … go read a book, see a movie, hit the gym, spend time with family and friends but by all means don’t read any further and certainly don’t follow any of these instructions.Windows 7Are you getting these errors? “an error occurred while applying security information to: “filename”“access is denied”“you currently don’t have access to this folder”File Folder Lock On Lock Off IconNote: you may want to create a “test folder” and test these instructions so you can get familiar with them. Also if you have lots of folders, subfolders and files your computer may take awhile to make all the changes. Just sit back and relax while it crunches away ;-)If you are going to want access to all your folders and files start with the topmost folder as we will be making a selection that will apply the setting to all subfolders and files. Ill point this out when we get to it later. You may only want to do this to files that you use directly and not mess with system files etc. These instructions can help you with files already on your system or files that you are bringing in from an external drive or other source.Here we go!First we will be taking “ownership” of your files and folders (instructions 1-18) then we will be granting you the proper “permissions” (instructions 19-) ; these are two key principles you need to be aware of to properly manage your files. The good new is that once you make these changes they will persist and then you will be your local file guru!Instructions:TAKING OWNERSHIP (1-18):1) Turn on your computer and log into windows with administrator privileges. If you are the only user of your computer then chances are the normal account you log in with has these privileges. If someone else set your computer up for you they may have the administrator privileges and you should check with them.2) Right click on your top most folder and select properties.3) Select the security tab at the top.4) Don’t answer any questions that pop up just click the “advanced button” on the bottom right.5) Click the owner tab.6) Now click edit.7) Then click on “you”, that is, the account that you just logged into your computer with, also known as your “username”.8) Check the box “replace owner on subcontainers and objects”. I promised to point this out earlier. If you don’t check this box then any changes you make WON’T apply to the subfolders and files.9) Click apply.10) A dialog box should pop up with a message “You do not have…” 11) you should select “yes”12) Another dialog box should pop up with a message “If you have just taken ownership …”13) Select “OK”14) Click “OK” again to close the “advanced security settings” screen were making changes to.15) The next box should now show you as the current owner16) Click “OK”17) Click “OK” again to close the properties tab18) We are now back at your folder listing. Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of your files! Take good care of them SETTING PERMISSIONS19) OK, now let’s get started setting your permissions. Right click your topmost folder again and select properties.20) Select the security tab at the top.21) OPTIONAL: You will likely see a list of “group or user names” that have various permissions. You don’t need to make any changes to these. If you want to remove some then click edit, highlight a “group or user” and hit remove.22) If you are not already listed we need to add “you” to the list, again by “you” I mean the name of the account that you logged into your computer with to start this session when you logged into windows, in other words your “username”. Click “add” then type JUST your username that comes up when you first log in to your computer by entering your username and password. You shouldn’t’ include any pathnames JUST the username.23) Click on “check names”; windows should find you.24) Click “OK”.25) Now you should be back at the “Permission/security” box26) Check the “full control” box under “allow”. Scroll down and you will see you can do everything now. Hey, stop obsessing …the “special permissions” tab is OK unchecked… It is there if you were to want to fine tune. You took full control already what else do you want You are behind the driver’s wheel my friend, enjoy!27) Select “apply”.28) Select “OK”29) Select “OK”30) OPTIONAL (THE little LOCK): did a “lock” appear. It might have if you removed all other “group or user names” back in step 21. The lock just means that YOU alone have access to these files. It is not bad in fact it is an easy way to see that the folder is unshared in every way. If you want to experiment with the “lock” try this: Right click the folder again but this time DON’T select properties instead a little higher up on the list select “share with”: see the lock by “nobody”. You aren’t sharing with anybody and so there is a lock to signify that. To experiment you can click “specific people” type “guest” click “add” then click to highlight the new “guest row” leave the “read” box checked and click “share”. You are now sharing those folders or files with “YOU” and anyone that logs onto your machine as a “Guest” and the lock has disappeared. To bring the lock back: right click the folder, click “share”, click “nobody”. LOCK ON / LOCK OFF …hey your Kung Fu is pretty good! For further experimenting with the lock try this but first a security warning: (SECURITY WARNING: changing these sharing settings may share your files with anyone going through your router/homegroup. This may compromise your security. Always protect access to your wireless router by using passwords to get onto the wireless network and also setting router passwords to prevent access to the router itself). If you set up a “homegroup” on your network and select this choice the “lock” will disappear and your files can now be shared with anyone logged into your network. • There could be multiple reasons for “access denied errors”. A nasty one is that the file/pathname is too long (>260 characters in Windows 7). You should start to shorten the root folder names as much as possible and bring down the longest path name to well under 260 characters (also including into that calculation the path where you will be copying the files).Enjoy!GeorgeThis is a draft document; please send me an email to let me know how it went for you and to help improve the document.George2006@mailshack.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2010 1:56pm

Great instructions, GeorgeOfthejungle2006! I just reinstalled Windows 7, previously was 32 bit, now 64 bit. During installation, I had it format my C drive and do a clean install, but my remaining drives with Data and backups were left intact. After reinstallation, all my permissions were screwed up and I was getting "You need permission to perform this action", "an error occurred while applying security information to", and "access is denied" errors. I looked all over google to try and figure this out.. eventually found your instructions, which I followed (ignoring the disclaimer at the top not to follow). After testing out on a few folders, I applied them to my drive letter folders - now all my problems are gone. You rock. Thanks much!
September 9th, 2010 8:45pm

Thank George :) . Your steps helped get access to some files locked by my XP OS. Thanks .
November 5th, 2010 2:35pm

George, It worked like a charm on my Vista Home with all updates and SP applied, 32 bit, HP Pavilion. Thanks. Now, here is another question. I have recently downloaded several program setup/installers (eg. Teamviewer) and when I double click on them, the circular arrow spins for a second, then disappears and nothing else happens. This began happening about the same time I started getting the denial of access so I thought it might be related. Unfortunately, even though I have ownership and full permissions, the problem persists. Regards, DavidDavid
December 26th, 2010 4:55pm

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 21:55:41 +0000, DavidNelson wrote: It worked like a charm on my?Vista Home with all updates and SP applied, 32 bit, HP Pavilion.? Thanks.? Now, here is another question. This forum is for Windows Server security questions, not for Vista. Please repost to one of the Vista forums. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/threads Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device? If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.
December 27th, 2010 2:17am

George, thanks so much for this help it worked great!! Just wanted to add a few notes in <<bracket>> to refine instructions, #22, "username"... <<Select Edit then>> Click "Add" #26, <<Select your username, then>> Check the “full control” box under “allow”...
July 30th, 2011 6:57am

"GOD" BLESS Awesome Dear:) It worked
June 16th, 2012 5:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics